Monday, April 30, 2012

Music

By now we all know that music is very therapeutic. There is no denying that listening to music can change our moods. But, you don't even have to listen to music to be healed. Not long after I was raped I found a binder full of hymns that I had printed up. It also contained some of the lyrics of special songs. I remember I spend hours just reading those lyrics, and looking online for others. The words and the stories behind those words had a powerful affect on me. They were able to soothe my soul. I felt comforted knowing that someone else had been scared, someone else had been in pain, someone else had a soul full of darkness. It helped knowing the history of the hymns and seeing that they used their words, words from their souls to help heal. It gave me the encouragement to try it as well, so I set about writing my own hymn. It will never be recorded in a hymn book. It will never be considered musical, yet for me it had all the power, because I learned that I could release my thoughts in more than just my diary/blog. It was one way that I stay connected to God, even when I was trying to run from Him and blame Him. I was a paradox, I was mad at Him and blamed Him, yet deep down I still clung to Him. The clinging was buried so I didn't recognize most of the time, but as I look book, yeah my heart and mind might have shunned Him, but my soul was clinging for dear life. It was through music that I kept my connection. It was through music that I began to heal. I sought comfort in those familiar words, words and melodies that I've known my whole life. It was through music that was able to journey. Music really is powerful. If you are struggling with sadness, fear, loneliness find some upbeat music, or just music with a powerful, life affirming message, it will help. If you happy, it is time to play music and dance, dance, dance! Let music be the therapy that God intended! -ME-

No comments: