Tuesday, November 2, 2010

America: God's Gift

Today the nation of America is going to the polls. We are voting on many issues from US Congressional seats, to city officials. There are also referendums and other issues to be decided.

It is said that as American citizens we have the RIGHT to vote. While that is true, it is more than that. It is a PRIVILEGE. Voting and electing the people that make the decisions may be a right, but it is a not that all citizens of the globe are free to exercise. There are many countries without elections, or with partial elections. Of the countries that have elections, not all of them go as smoothly as it does in America.

You may scoff at that statement, but it is quite smooth in America. I voted and I wasn't harassed, I wan't threatened to vote a certain way, and my vote was confidential, so that I could feel free to vote how I wanted. That is an amazing gift.

Those of us in America (especially civilians) tend to take America for granted. I know, that I do. I don't always pause to think of all the gifts that America is, and how blessed I am that God allows me to live here. Even with the bad economy, and a president that I think would make a better hamburger flipper, America is still a gift.

Even living in the country I have my choice of grocery stores to visit, I can shop around for cheaper cell/cable/car service. I can go to church freely and worship how I want. I have a nice house and more stuff in it than I need. I have access to multiple library buildings full of books that I can check out for free!

I can call up my elected officials and tell someone how I feel. They probably won't heed my advice, but I will be punished for making the call.

There are so many amazing things about America, and for all of them I'm proud to call America my home. I'm also proud (bursting) of our military. Every person serving is there by choice. I'm being protected by people that are willing to do whatever it takes. They (and their family and friends) make HUGE sacrifices each and every day for all of us Americans.

There are other countries that are pretty great and I'd love to visit them. Yet, they are not home. America is my home and I'm ever so thankful that she is.

Dear Lord,
Please be with every person at the polls. Encourage them to vote for the godly choice, not just the popular choice. Encourage each of us to remember the seriousness of the ballots.
Thank you for allowing me to live in such an amazing country. Protect our men and women in uniform today and put your loving arm around their family members.
Most of all, thank you for Your love, forgiveness, support, justice and the gift of Salvation through Jesus Christ.

Through the blood the Lamb I pray.
Amen and I love You

No comments: