Thursday, November 22, 2007

New York City-Day 1

The day began early. I woke up to the sound of the train(the tracks are like right here), so I was up when my friend left for work, and then I dozed off again for about 45 mins. Later that morning I took the subway from the Bronx to Manhattan and I spent a few hours at the MET.

I've wanted to go to the MET for as long as I can remember, and it did not disappoint. The ancient Egypt stuff was amazing. I loved it. I will put up pictures soon. I just have to decide which ones & figure out how to post multiple photos. After the MET I wandered to Central Park, which was gorgeous this time of year. Perfect weather to be outside, just cool enough that it felt good to be out and about.

After the park I just wandered and stopped in stores that looked like fun, Tiffany's, Disney Store, Barnes and Noble on 5th, American Girl, Build a Bear, and some of the high end stores. It was so much fun to just be there among the people of New York.

Probably the highlight of my wanderings was St. Pat's Cathedral. It was as beautiful as people say. I spent about 15 minutes there, praying in one of the pews. Wow! The stained glass windows, and just all the history that building contains. It was very reverent. People in there were quite respectful.

I ended the majority of my wanderings 42 blocks after I started at the NY Public Library. Another great place. You have go up a few flights of stairs to reach the books, but it was worth it, and I found a bench to rest on. I was there for about 45 minutes just resting my feet and eyes.

I waited to meet my friend at a small Starbucks on 5th. I sat down, and next me a lady whom I guessing is from Brooklyn (she had the accent, it was great) sat down, and just started pouring her life to me, saying she thought I looked like a good counselor! It was interesting. I tried to give her some good advice, and listen.

Then, I met Bethany and we went to...Chipotle for dinner!!! Then we wandered down to Bryant Park (it was dark by this time) and watched the ice-skaters for a few minutes, and took some picutres. We proceeded to wander to Times Square and visited Toys R Us and the M&Ms store, as well as a grocery store to get some potatoes. The crowds on 5th were not too bad, but Times Square-wall to wall a mass of humanity; insanity! We eventually made it back to the subway and headed to the Bronx, my feet appreciated the long rest and delay on the subway. We purchased a few other things at a bodega in her neighborhood, and came home.

All that, and in one day too! It was a busy day, full of walking around and up and down stairs. But a great day, even though my feet hurt by the end, and I was in my best walking shoes too. I recommend Central Park if you come this way. And, don't miss St. Pat's and the Met, and...but I could go on, and I must end this for now. I promise to get pictures up soon if I can figure out this technology!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

No comments: