Friday, November 23, 2007

New York City-Days 2 & 3

Day 2:

Thanksgiving day is the day of the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and just like in years past I watched the parade. Being in NYC where the parade is held was quite nice. After the parade a glorious thing happened, I watched the Packers kick some Lion bootie!!! It was an exciting game (just ignore the first quarter stats). Turkey sandwiches for dinner, so we had some tradition. Bethany and I played Life and Monopoly. I was the Life champion, and she defeated me in Monopoly, so I'd say overall it was great. A nice Thanksgiving Day. It was really warm too, the 3rd warmest Thanksgivings on record for the city.


Day 3:

Black Friday began for me quite early, but NOT because I was in line, eagerly awaiting the doors to open so I could save money. Oh no, nothing like that. I woke around 4:40am to a fire truck screaming right by the building. The lights were flashing and the siren was at full decibels and I woke and probably jumped a foot in the air, off the bed. It scared the heck out of me, I thought our building was on fire, but don't worry, it wasn't. It took a LONG while for me to get calmed down and back to sleep. After the fire truck, the train going by every 5 mins (or so it seemed) did not bother me that much.

Bethany and I kind of got a late start to the day, but then we went to this little craft store and spent 4 hours making mosaic picture holders. They were fun, and we sat by some really interesting NY'ers. I will try to get a pix of my art up for y'all.

After craft time we wandered around in the brisk and windy 40 degree(without wind chill, it was quite brisk) weather. I got a pix of the Hudson River and then we turned around and wandered up to Central Park (a different section from my day 1 visit) and ate a very late lunch and took lots of pictures.

It was then time to embrace the Black Friday crowds. I was able to get some neat pictures of Macy's and the Empire State Building. We visited a few stores, no real high end stores, except for Victoria's (luv that place!). We went to Old Navy, Vic's, and K-Mart. By then, we had both had enough of the crowds on the street. Interesting dealing with all those people and trying to cross the street and not get trampled. An adventure in and of itself. Man, these shoppers are mad crazy!

We headed down to Penn Station and grabbed a snack and hopped on the train to head home, where the ride was not much fun, because we were cramped, a guy next us stank to high heaven, the girl on the other side was crowding us, and the train was dirty. But, that was just the ride home! Coming down town, I saw a guy do something that should never be done in public! Oh, the things you see!!! Welcome to the NYC subway experience I guess.

Edison (Bethany's husband) made us dinner (chicken and rice and mashed potatoes-so our big T-Day meal was a day late...). Now, I am getting ready for bed. Tomorrow looks to be another enjoyable day, my last full day. I leave on Sunday afternoon.

I pray y'all had a blessed Thanksgiving, and are now in the mood for the advent season.

No comments: