Sunday, July 6, 2008

Wall Drug

Wall Drug is a landmark in South Dakota. It is about 60 miles East of Rapid City, and is not nearly as famous as Mount Rushmore, but it is a tourist trap nonetheless. Back in the day when I-90 was built an enterprising pharmacist living in Wall, S.D. figured that tourists traveling on the near interstate would need to stop for refreshments. So he offered "free ice water" knowing that people would stop for the free water (because cars did not have a/c at the time) and then would browse and spend money in the drug store.

The plan worked. People stopped for the free water and the rest as they say is history! The town of Wall is built around the drug store and all the tourist traps that have been built up since. The water is still free, and the coffee is only a nickel. In a day the cost of everything is sky rocketing, it is nice to know that something remains the same. There are stores galore in Wall, and there is a backyard, dinosaur museum.

Growing up whenever we would travel through S.D. my family would HAVE to stop in Wall. It was just one of those things. My parents love the place. My Mom has even said (and this is a direct quote) "I like Wall Drug better than Disneyland." Better than Disneyland...hmmm.... I'm not convinced, and I have been there too many times to count.

We do have some unique memories connected to the town. One year Mom, Grandma, my sis and lil bro and I traveled all over the country and back in my parents' new minivan. It was the last day of traveling on the route home. We of course stopped at Wall and ordered milkshakes. My bro wanted ice cream, but Mom talked him into getting a milkshake. A chocolate milkshake. Well, he didn't finish it before it was time to go, so since it was in a cup he could take it in the car with him. We hadn't gone more than 15 miles when I saw Doug tip the cup over and the milkshake spilled all over him and the seat! None of us had ever seen Mom that mad, even her mother!!! Looking back we can all chuckle at the memory, but that day it was far from funny.

Then there were all the times we'd pass through on the way to or from visiting my sis at college in Minnesota. I was usually grumpy. Wall Drug is not my favorite place, and I've been there so often, and I'm one of those people that just loves to get in the car and drive and only stop when I'm forced to get gas, so I can get to my destination. Wall Drug was superfluous to me.

In all my life I have not known my parents to not stop at Wall Drug. Heck, they've even spent nights there. Well, today is a first. I just talked to them and they are driving from Rapid to northern WI and guess what!?! They did NOT, I repeat, did NOT stop at Wall Drug. It is a good thing that I was seated for the announcement, I almost fainted. For my family stopping at Wall Drug became as necessary as filling the tank up with gas or eating. It just happened, no ifs, ands, or buts! But today it didn't! I'm not sure what to think.

As I'm older now, and maybe a little bit wiser I still would say Disney is more of an attraction than Wall Drug, but I do admit that Wall is not all that bad. It is nice to have a place to stretch my legs and take a break from the tedium of driving I-90 through S.D. Now S.D. has some great features, but I-90 gets boring! So to have this place to stop before you hit Rapid (or after depending on the direction you are traveling) is nice. And free water is always welcome!

So, if you are traveling on I-90 through S.D. make sure to put Wall Drug on your places to see. There are signs all over the world advertising the place and how many miles it is to Wall Drug (a splendid marketing scheme if ever there was one) and it is a must visit for all erudite Americans. Something we should all do at least once. The kids will have fun, and with prices of food and gas going through the roof this is one place where the dollar can stretch.

No comments: