Tuesday, February 1, 2011

9 Years Ago Today

9 Years ago today I was a typical college freshman. I was attending classes, doing homework, hanging out with friends and getting prepared to go out on a date at the end of the week. I was finally beginning to adjust to college life and being so far from the only place I had ever really called home.

I've never been very good at making friends. I'm quite shy in real life. I get nervous and I don't know what to say around people in my own peer group. I'm fine on stage, or at work, because I know what is expected and what "script" to follow, but off the cuff stuff would scare the heck out of me.

So, college took some adjustments. I chose a school where I didn't know anyone. I did make some friends, but it took time and a big step out of my comfort zone. Returning to school after Christmas break I was excited that I'd be going to be a place where I did know some people, and I had found an AMAZING church home. Church was my refuge.

Spring semester I had some interesting classes: Old Testament Survey, New Testament Survey, Biology (and the lab), Handbells, Educational Psychology and English in the Classroom (I don't remember the official title, but it was a class for education students). It was a fun mix of classes. I really liked my OT class and the professor. It was fun and I was learning A LOT.

I have always loved to learn. February first I was finally getting into the meat of the classes. I was working on a project on the Krebs Cycle for Biology class. It kept me busy and I was stressing out, because it didn't look as nice as I wanted the posterboard part to look. I've never been at that stuff. I want my work to be perfect, and I'm not good at art.

Little did I know, that in less than 24 hours, the Krebs Cycle and school in general would be the least of my worries. 9 years ago I was just a typical college student, and I was blind to what the night would bring. I didn't know that it was the last day of life as I knew it. 9 years ago today.

No comments: