Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Forgiveness is the Beginning

One of the things in life that I have learned is that there is power and strength in forgiveness. It takes a strong person to be able to forgive another. Forgiveness is saying "Yes you hurt me, but we are going to move on." It is easy to stay mired in the hurt, the pain and anger. It is easy to hold a grudge.

Holding on to the anger is never a good idea. Think about the people you know that are unpleasant, angry, bitter. 8 times out of 10 if you talk to them a huge part of their problem is that they don't know how, or just refuse to have a spirit of forgiveness.

We need to forgive, if only for our peace of mind. It is easier to see the beautiful God moments when we are not blinded by un-forgiveness.

Yet, forgiveness is only the beginning. We also need to love the other person(s). That is something I have struggled with for 9 years. I have been able to forgive the men that raped me, and my ex that abused me. I have. I pray for them to see Christ. I do want to spend eternity with them, because that would mean they found salvation.

But, to want to know they are in Heaven and not Hell and to sincerely love them are 2 totally different things. It is HARD to love men that have hurt me so much. I can intellectually say "I forgive you and hope you find Christ", but in my deepest part of my heart, do I truly love them?

Christ showed us how important love is. Love goes hand in hand with forgiveness. This is exemplified with the adulterous woman. He forgave her for her sin, instructed her to sin no more, but did it all through love and gentleness. As Christ hung on the cross and gazed out at the throng of people that had clamored for his death, he prayed for, forgave and loved them.

I'm not there yet. I'm praying that I can get there. I'm on my way. I can understand that those that have hurt me the most are just as beloved by Christ as my husband and I are. I KNOW that, but I need to transfer that knowledge and put it in my heart.

I have joy because I know that God will help me get there. I also know that as I continue on the path I'll grow more in love with Him. Love for ALL other people will only intensify my love for Him!

-JP-

No comments: